Sphere Gaps measurement is one of the standard method used of measuring peak value of the high voltage either DC, AC and impulse voltage. Sphere Gaps arrangement is provided in two ways. One is Horizontal and other is vertical. Horizontal arrangement is preferred is suitable for low voltage range. In both the arrangements one of the sphere is static and other is movable (adjustable). In vertical arrangements lower sphere is grounded and in Horizontal arrangements both spheres connected to the source voltage or one sphere grounded. Series resistances are provided in between source and sphere to limit the breakdown current and to suppress unwanted oscillations.
- Diameters of the spheres are as per the standards like in the range of 2,5,6.25,10,12.5,15,25,50,75,100,150 and 200cm.
- Spheres are designed and fabricated in such a way that their surfaces are smooth and the curvature is uniform.
- Spheres are having equal diameters and is more than the distance between the spheres.
- Proper insulating support, sphere shank, Series resistances, stress distributor, is provided.
- To maintain accuracy gap distance in excess of 0.75D are not used.
|Sphere Gap Test Set
||Maximum Capacity Avaialble
||Up to 500kV measurement
||230 volts, 50 Hz or 380/400V, 50/60HZ ± 10 % AC supply
||Sphere Gap Material
||Series Resistance provided with in the range of 100-1000KOhm depends on capacity of HV measurement for below puprose :
Limit the breakdown current
Supress unwanted oscilations
||Type 1- The unit can be manual/motorized control for operation.
Type 2- The unit can be PLC based complete with computer, HMI memory, printer etc. for operation.